I discovered Katy Bowman’s “exercise is not movement” platform after reading her “Katy Says” blog. It was the missing link I’d been looking for: safe, effective biomechanically correct natural movement for optimal health. For myself and my clients.
The objective analysis of alignment and philosophy of movement fits with both my personal beliefs and the principles of osteopathy. I completed her online Whole Body Alignment course and in 2013 traveled to Ventura, California for a week-long intensive certification. Restorative Exercise has evolved into Nutritious Movement™, and I have maintained my certification with ongoing movement classes and lectures.
Nutritious Movement™ includes:
- Movement micronutrients – corrective exercises, like a calf stretch or psoas release, to help mobilize and correct alignment.
- Movement macronutrients – larger movements, like walking, squatting and climbing to nourish more of your body.
- Habitat – lifestyle changes, like using a sit/stand desk or carrying your groceries to keep you moving and allow your whole body thrive.
This program is the foundational physical education that everyone needs. The goal is to nourish your entire body, so all the parts are healthy and working well. Katy sums up the theory behind Nutritious Movement™ in her new video:
My instruction focuses on the corrective exercises, simple movements, specifically targeted, designed to:
- Correct alignment and joint mechanics.
- Enhance circulation.
- Restore appropriate muscle length and strength.
- Improve balance and proprioception .
- Self-assessment and body awareness.
- Motor skill acquisition.
- Whole body movement .
Regular practice can decrease pain and improve mobility, stability and strength for optimal health. I look forward to helping you discover how you can move better.